Friday, March 17, 2006

SCARY Ellis

Don’t know how widespread this ad atrocity is, but the deadest of dead (RIP, Perry) fashion labels Perry Ellis has started a serial-comic campaign within the last couple of weeks in the New York Times. It is ridiculously badly written and utterly unentertaining (I dare you to read all 3 scenarios.). Our nameless super hetero hero (the one with the beer)—let’s call him “Ellis”—has a great blonde girlfriend named Morgan (naturally). And, of course, a hot redhead across the bar is flirting with him. And of course he has a great job, but another company has an even greater job opp for him. And of course he has a great philosophy that goes like this:
“The secret to my professional success is that I relish challenges—I see a problem as just another opportunity for a solution. So I figured, why not apply this to my personal life?”
And of course, this makes me want to throw out my entire wardrobe and replace it with Perry Ellis Wear. "(BANG BANG BANG) OPEN UP PERRY ELLIS STORE! (BANG BANG BANG) I AM HERE TO BUY ONE OF EVERYTHING!

16 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Hahahaha.

Great post.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They also had a 2page insert in CARGO magazine. The dude goes for job interview and he nails it...morgan is around, as well as his pseudo hispterposer friends.

Someone pls. call Harvey Pekar to do a mock campaign!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Matt Brand said...

BARF! Although a Dan Clowes or R Crumb take on this would have him beating off in the skanky bar bathroom in the next panel!

11:05 AM  
Blogger EVIL DISCUSSOR said...

Not to mention, it's a total rip off of Adrian Tomine's Optic Nerve comics. Exact same feel, look, everything. If I were him, I'd be taking a big messy dump right now in the middle of a Perry Ellis store, and smearing it all around.

Sincerely,
E.D.

12:01 PM  
Blogger dancing at gunpoint said...

you're funny.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

take a dump in the middle of the store and cover it with the page of the Times, with the ad facing up.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's the Hetero hero himself:

http://www.pery.com/

3:09 PM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

Why did you link to this f*cking site?! Now I'm addicted to what's going to happen next. It's just like Charlie Brown's little red-haired girl. Plagiarists!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

Nice work shadow. I just KNEW our hero was wearing Perry Ellis clothing. So Sly.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the ads... they're so inspiring! I too want to nail my interview, have a Morgan of my own and have Tina Louise hit on me from across the bar! You guys just don't get it.

9:27 PM  
Blogger kristine said...

clearly the comic took creative license when he drew Mr. Pery himself. and why did we drop an R, again?

12:56 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

kristine: PERY is their symbol on the stock exchange.

4:17 PM  
Blogger kristine said...

oh.

i guess that's better than what i was thinking. also, i thought you may be interested to know that--at least--you're not personified by a synthetic yellow baby bird.

the sak ad campaign

10:55 PM  
Blogger KFad said...

These ads also ran in GQ. Translation: even more money wasted running these crappy ads.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Matt Brand said...

the "token black friend" is now in advertising comix?!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hey! Perry's wearing a striped shirt!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home